Monument record SBC 011 - Cropmarks of an unidentified medieval church
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7320 4320 (349m by 454m)|
|Civil Parish||STOKE-BY-CLARE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Cropmark of church (unknown). Near Chapel Street Farm (S2)(S3). "Cropmark of a destroyed structure apparently unrecorded church (see BNM 59). 1974: A slight difference in alignment of the central structure may indicate the possibility of two churches of differing periods. A very unusual site. No surface indications except a faint mound over the site of the church" (S1).
1981: Site under arable - no artefacts noted, nor faint mound as stated above (S1). Phases, based on APs, dated to C11/C12, C14 & C15 & documentary information relating to church discussed in (S4)(R1).
Note: appears to be recorded as 'Roman Earthworks (site of)' on 1985 1:10,000 OS map (but not earlier or later maps) - OS card (TL74SW 21) entry for 1980 states 'cropmarks of Roman ring ditches and ritual structures revealed by air photogrhy are visible south of Chapel Farm'. This dating is clearly an error.
1990s (?): site deep-ploughed by owner, (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s), according to English Heritage (Ian Millar) (S7).
Now (2008) under Farm Management plan and reverted to grass (Will Fletcher).
- <R1> SSF11034 (No record type): McMasters, I.. McMasters I, APs, 1988.
- <M1> SSF45757 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <M2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP ADR 70, BNM 54,59, BYC 77; NMR TL 7243/5/173, TL 7343/3/86;.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, APs ADR 70, BNM 54, 59, 1973; BYC 77, 1975.
- <M3> SSF45759 (No record type): Mrs McMasters 117, 119.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR, APs TL 7243/5/173, TL 7343/3/86.
- <S4> SSF11035 (No record type): McMasters, I.. McMasters I, Cropmark of a medieval church..', Colchester Archaeol Gp Ann Bulletin, 31, 1988, 17-26.
- <M4> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S4).
- <S5> SSF11054 (No record type): McMasters, I.. McMasters Mrs, AP 117, 119, 1986.
- <S6> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, Strachan D, APs, CP/96/9/6 & 10, 1996.
- <S7> SSF50082 Verbal communication: Personal communication. McMasters I, to C Pendleton (SCCAS), July 2008.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
May 25 2016 11:25AM