Monument record RBY 016 - Risby Poor's Heath
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7862 6788 (37m by 41m)|
|Civil Parish||RISBY, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Round barrow. Shown on OS 25 inch (S1) and 6 inch (S2) maps (S3).
February 1869: Probably one of two barrows excavated by W Greenwell on "Long Heath Field" - Tithe map & apportionment shows this as situated on "Long Heath" - "pasture" (S4). Described as being composed of sand and `had been reduced by the plough', and as being `in the SE corner of the field (situated in centre of E side of `Long Heath' field as shown on Tithe map) was 68 feet in diameter and 3 feet high. At 18 feet WSW and 1 foot above the natural surface from centre, were the fragments of a British funeral urn with a good deal of charcoal, no bones. At 19 feet WSW, a hole NW by SE, 2 feet by 1 foot and 1 foot deep, which seemed to have been sunk through the site of the funeral pile, the burnt soil indicating the extent of the fire, showed a diameter of 4 feet. The hole was filled with burnt bones and covered with charcoal, and some burnt flints were among the bones. The urn was probably connected with this burial. The body had been burnt upon the natural surface in a slight hollow. At five-and-a-half feet NW in a hole 2 feet by 1.5 feet and 1 foot deep, also sunk through the site of the pile was a burnt body. The space occupied by this pile as in the other instance was 4 feet in diameter' (S6). This excavation was formerly associated with RBY 006.
1958: Shown as upstanding barrow on 6 inch OS map (S2)(S3).
1962: Situated within a strip of cleared woodland, badly mutilated and mis- shapen; it has a diameter of 13m and a maximum height of 0.8m (S3).
1977: Diameter 27m maximum height 0.4m, recently re-planted with trees(S3).
1979: Diameter circa 38m, height 0.4m, under grass, recently re-planted with young fir trees (S5).
Adjacent RBY 006 and 005.
- <S1> SSF12872 (No record type): OS, 25 inch map (2nd ed), 1904.
- <M1> SSF38160 (No record type): Barrow survey:.
- <S2> SSF12914 (No record type): OS, 6 inch map, TL 76 NE, 1958.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: Afforestation proposal/application.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL76NE3.
- <S4> SSF22176 Map: 1839/40. Risby Tithe Map and Apportionment. Tithe Map & Apportionment, Risby, 1839 & 1840.
- <S5> SSF19374 (No record type): SAU, Martin E A, Barrow Survey, 1979.
- <S6> SSF7136 (No record type): Greenwell W, Examination of Suffolk Tumuli, Risby, Quart J Suff Inst Archaeol, 1869, 38-40.
- <S7> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- FSF8222: POTTERY (Undated)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Record last edited
Oct 19 2021 2:26PM