Monument record RGH 002 - Tumuli - Part of Eastlow Hill Group
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8994 6167 (50m by 50m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||RUSHBROOKE WITH ROUGHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Three Barrows - Part of Eastlow Hill Group.
Barrow A (site of)(TL 8994 6171 approx):
1843: Quarried away by labourers. Mound contained a tiled chamber, within which were a cremation in a glass vessel and a large iron lamp (R1).
1871: Destroyed (R2)(R3).
1970: No trace (S1).
1976: No trace (R4).
Barrow B (remains of)(TL 8992 6167):
1843: Excavated by Prof J H Henslow. Mound 54 feet in diameter and 6 feet high. Central tiled chamber containing broken glass vessel which held a cremation and a coin of Trajan, a glass lachrymatory, two small grey ware vessels, two yellow ware flagons, two samian bowls and two platters, an iron lamp and two slightly curved iron rods (R1).
1871: A grassed and mutilated mound, 56 feet in diameter, 5 feet high (R2)(R3).
1970: Mound is now four spoil heaps (S1).
1976: Four overgrown spoil heaps in copse (R4).
Barrow C (site of)(TL 8992 6165 approx):
1843: Opened by Prof J H Henslow. Mound partly under the road and much damaged. 'Two vases of imperfectly burnt dark earthenware' each containing a cremation found on the old ground surface. Sherds of samian ware were found under the barrow (R1).
1871: Destroyed (R2)(R3).
1951: "Found pieces of Rom tiles and one sherd of early Iron Age pottery near the spoil heaps of one of the smaller tumuli" (This could refer to B or C)(R5).
See also RGH 001.
Taken from NRHE record:
Four Ro barrows extending SW in a line from Eastlow Hill, the largestand most northerly of the Group, and near a Ro building (TL 96 SW 1). The three smaller barrows were opened during 1843. That next to Eastlow Hill contained a tiled chamber at ground level, within which there was a square jar or urn contained a tiled chamber below ground level, with a two handled glass urn containing a cremation and a large iron lamp. This mound was destroyed. The next barrow to the SW containing a cremation, a corroded coin, an iron lamp, two short iron rods, Samain and 2nd C coarse pottery.
This barrow still remains - presumably that at TL 89926167. The most southerly barrow was much disturbed by the road and little trace is left. Finds included a cremation and fragments of urns
and Samian ware. Eastlow Hill was excavated in 1844. This contained a body wrapped in skins in a lead coffin, within a small chamber of flint rubble and tiles with a ridged tile roof, standing on a concrete platform. (See attached plan). No objects found.
The principal mound although almost its original height is in a pitiful state, having been burrowed into from the E and SW and dug into in two places on top.
The other published mound is now four spoil heaps.
No other barrows could be seen. See annotated 25" survey.
TL 899617. Eastlow Hill tumulus - scheduled.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL86SE1.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file.
- <R1> SSF7444 (No record type): Henslow J W, Account of Roman Antiq at Rougham, Bury & Norwich Post, 20 Sep 1843.
- <M2> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volume.
- <S2> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <R2> SSF925 (No record type): Babington C, Roman Antiquities found at Rougham in 1842 & 1843, PSIA, 4, 1874, 257-281.
- <M3> SSF44724 (No record type): Barrow Survey archive:.
- <R3> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 315-316 & 293-294.
- <R4> SSF10908 (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E, 1976.
- <R5> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, III, 102.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jun 25 2021 3:35PM