Monument record FAS 004 - Fornham Cursus. (Neo)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 832 680 (1224m by 1535m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||FORNHAM ALL SAINTS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Cursus. 1.87km long, runs from Hengrave (see HNV 002) through Fornham village (under church) and ends in a field beside Pigeon Lane. Has two changes in direction. Westernmost portion is 23m wide, the rest averages 40m wide. Both ends closed. Gaps in sides at E end. Probably overlies interrupted ditch system (FAS 002), E end is overlapped by a ring ditch (FAS 013)(S1-S4). The area of the new housing estate at TL 839 675 was examined but nothing was visible (S E West, 1969).
Route presumably cut by sewer trench of 1886/7 - see Hengrave Misc Un & FAS Misc Rom.
1976: Largest of the Suffolk cursuses, and appears to change direction several times. Ditches are approx 40m apart. It is intersected by an interupted ditch system and other cropmarks nearby (S15)(S16).
18 Dec 1989: Cursus route between NW & SE scheduled areas included as part of HER site. Note tightly packed flints also found along line - see Parish file.
Nov 2008: years previously husband of joint owner of (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) had abandoned digging bottom end of garden ((see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) area, just outside line of cursus ditch) due to solid concentration of massive flints at about 1 to 1 foot 6inches depth (S14).
January 1993: Headlands of field immediately W of church subsoiled (illegally), affecting part of monument. Information from Mr I Millar, English Heritage, though it would appear no action was taken.
Briefly discussed in (S6). One of a group of three possible cursus monuments - also FAS 028 and FAS 029.
Also Mes and preh entries.
- --- SSF59507 Finds Report: 1996. Fornham Cursus.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: Plot of cropmarks (in AP cabinet); site report.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <R1> SSF5659 (No record type): Edwardson A R, CBA Gp 7, Bulletin 7, 1960, 7-8.
- <R2> SSF21590 (No record type): St Joseph J K, Antiq, 38, 1964, 290-291 (and plan of photo).
- <M2> SSF46742 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR, APs TL 8368/21/453, TL 8368/20/446 & 448, TL 8368/19/443.
- <R3> SSF23251 (No record type): Wilson D R, Antiq, 49, 1975, 180.
- <S3> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, APs ABM 2-4,8,10,12,15-20,24-25, ABN 66 (1960), ADE 39,40,42,49,51,53, ADS 54,62,65,69 (1961).
- <M3> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP & SAU (one folder full); NMR TL 8368/21/453, TL 8368/20/446 & 448.
- <S4> SSF18655 (No record type): SAU, APs ABB 16-27, ALY 15-16, ADG 28-30, AFX 4-7, AGI 4-9, AGP 3-10, AJC 2-3.
- <M4> SSF46744 (No record type): TL 8368/19/443; (S5).
- <R4> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL86NW11.
- <S5> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, AP, CP/97/13/27, June 1997.
- <R5> SSF50210 Bibliographic reference: A Barclay & J Harding. 1999. Pathways & Ceremonies: The Cursus Monuments of Britain & Ireland. ill.
- <S6> SSF50117 Bibliographic reference: Oswald, A., Dyer, C. & Barber, M.. 2001. The Creation of Monuments: Neolithic Causewayed Enclosures in the British Isles. Page 135, ill.
- <S7> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. NAU, TL 833 676, JDE 7-8 & 10-13, 1 July 1996.
- <S8> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. NAU, TL 836 676, JDF 9-10, 1 July 1996.
- <S9> SSF50208 Unpublished document: Carolyn Dyer (RCHME). 1996. A Neolithic Monument complex at Fornham All Saints, Suffolk. ill.
- <S10> SSF50117 Bibliographic reference: Oswald, A., Dyer, C. & Barber, M.. 2001. The Creation of Monuments: Neolithic Causewayed Enclosures in the British Isles. ill.
- <S11> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Martin EA, 'When is a henge not a henge?', 141-2, ill.
- <S12> SSF50209 Article in monograph: JD Hedges & DG Buckley. 1981. Springfield Cursus and the Cursus Problem. fig 5.
- <S13> SSF50207 Bibliographic reference: Loveday R. 2006. Inscribed Across the Landscape: The Cursus Enigma. ill.
- <S14> SSF50082 Verbal communication: Personal communication. Mrs Cockerton per Pendleton C (SCCAS), November 2008.
- <S15> SSF58519 Unpublished document: Martin, E.. 1976. Prehistoric Crop-Mark Sites in Suffolk.
- <S16> SSF58525 Unpublished document: Martin, E. A. and Plouviez, J.. 1978. Prehistoric and Roman Cropmark Sites in Suffolk.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Feb 11 2020 10:25AM