Monument record BSE 021 - St Botolph's Chapel
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8597 6356 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
St Botolph's Chapel - site of. Was sited in the yard of the "White Hart" Inn and was possibly a Guild Chapel (S1). Location shown on OS maps and Warren's C18 maps of Bury. For picture (print) of view see (S2)(S3)(R1). Totally demolished circa 1801 (Gillingwater reference in Suffolk Record Office). Also shown as large arched structure E of road on Bavens map of C. 1840.
Note: Abbey Hotel (former White Hart?) now (2013) has a converted small barn like structure (date unknown but appears to be west of former chapel location as shown on OS maps) to rear which incorporates various pieces of limestone blockwork, possibly from the former chapel. Also has a recent retaining wall in its back-yard built of large amounts of similar stonework plus numerous moulded elements including very large and smaller column pieces, window reveals etc. These are all said, by the hotel owner, to have come from the construction work (1970s?) during the adjoining 'Oast Court' development (which was not recorded archaeologically - perhaps Borough Council building control have records). However, these elements do not look similar to the simple structural remains shown in an 18th century (?) illustration of the standing chapel building (see S3, copy in parish file) so it is possible these are acually from the abbey itself, from the former alms houses shown on Warrens maps just to the south on Southgate Street, the South Gate or some other structure.
Original location needs verification but possibly under present DJ Evans Depot building?
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL86SE24.
- <R1> SSF50044 Source Checked: Suffolk Record Office. (B) , HD 1390.
- <S2> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Yates Rev R. Hist & Antiq of the Abbey of St Edmund's Bury, 1843, ill, pt2, 48-.
- <S3> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Statham M, Yesterday's Town: Bury St Edmunds, 1992, 125, ill.
- <S4> SSF59798 Article in serial: A, A. Bryan. 1998. Windmill gazetteer for England.
- <S5> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S3 - ill).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 11 2021 9:53AM