Monument record HAM 006 - Henham Hall (site of)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4510 7819 (54m by 52m)|
|Civil Parish||WANGFORD WITH HENHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Henham (new) Hall (site of).
The old hall at Henham (see HAM 015) was burnt down in 1773, though drawings of it do exist. A new house was built for the Rous family, Earls of Stradbroke, by James Wyatt 1793-1797. This was later altered by E M Barry in C19. Pulled down in 1953. All that remains are the stables, dovecote and dairy, probably by Wyatt.
Long crinkle crankle wall in the garden.
Park laid out by Humphry Repton. For (Registered) gardens see HAM 016.
Henham Hall nad Park shown on Ogilby's map (S4) as an empaled wooded deer park and mansion, 1675.
Further details in (S2). Also see (S3) (R1).
See details in Lost Country Houses of Suffolk by WM Roberts.
2007: A resistivity survey was carried out in the ground of Henham Park to identify anomalies associated with the former Tudor and Georgian Halls situated in the survey area. The survey has . Successfully identified structural remains associated with the demolished Georgian Hall. Possible structural remains have been identified in the north of the survey that may relate to the Tudor Hall, although a comprehensive layout of the earlier Hall cannot be identified. This may be due to the possible robbing of building material. Several former garden pathways, as seen on the I904 OS map, have also been identified (S6).
2012: Results from the magnetic survey show responses associated with the Georgian hall. The majority of the data is magnetically disturbed which may indicate brick rubble associated with the Tudor hall or past landscaping. Modern responses are also visible within the data in the form of metal pipes. GPR survey has clearly identified the position and width of the west, south and east ranges of the Tudor house, including the southwest tower. The central entrance tower was only partly surveyed due to trenches and spoil material. Some responses relating to the northern range were also identified thereby delimiting the footprint of the Tudor dwelling. Part of the footprint of the Georgian mansion was mapped, the data also revealed, with depth, the extent of the more recent house’s cellars (S8).
2014: Evaluation confirmed the position of the Georgian House (S7).
- <S1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, Buildings of England, Suffolk, 1974.
- <R1> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Mackley A, Georgian Group Article.
- <S2> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. Popham J, Henham Estate: Site for proposed Hall in Henham Park, Consultation Draft, May 1996, ill.
- <S3> SSF50039 Unpublished document: Letter. Martin E A (SCCAS), to Popham J, June 1996.
- <S4> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Ogilby John, , Britannia, 1675.
- <S5> SSF50368 Bibliographic reference: Roberts, W.M.. 2010. Lost Country Houses Of Suffolk.
- <S6> SSF54756 Unpublished document: Heard H. 2007. Geophysical Survey Report, Henham Park, Beccles, Suffolk.
- <S7> SSF55767 Unpublished document: 2014. Evaluation, Henham Park, Wangford with Henham.
- <S8> SSF55790 Unpublished document: Adcock j & Wood E. 2012. Geophysical Survey, Henham Park, Henham.
- FSF38834: TOBACCO PIPE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF38835: ANIMAL REMAINS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF38836: WINDOW FITTING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF38837: COIN (16th century to Unknown - 1573 AD)
- FSF38838: COIN (17th century - 1672 AD to 1679 AD)
- FSF38839: JETTON (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
May 17 2018 3:59PM