Monument record WSW 018 - West Stow Heath, West Stow, (Mesolithic-Neolithic)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 792 713 (157m by 71m)|
|Civil Parish||WEST STOW, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1968: A finely worked leaf shaped arrowhead and tranchet derivative arrowheads. Also, mesolithic flakes, cores, microburins, geometric microliths. All found on ground disturbed by motor-cycle scramble track. Retained by finder (S1-S3).
Some material previously recorded under WSW 001, Billington and Jacobi regard this as a single scatter/site, (S2,S3)
- <S1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1).
- <S1> SSF59675 Finds Report: SAU. 1968. Finds Report WSW 018 (and formerly WSW 001).
- <S2> SSF59354 Bibliographic reference: Billington, L, P.. 2016. Lithic Scatters and Landscape Occupation in the Late Upper Palaeolithic and Mesolithic: A Case Study from Eastern England.. M 1202.
- <Ss3> SSF59353 Digital archive: Jacobi, R.. 2014. Palaeolithic and Mesolithic Lithic Artefact (PaMELA) database. 11664, 11665.
- FSF11737: FLAKE (Star Carr Type Mesolithic to Late Neolithic - 9000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- FSF11738: BORER (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF11739: MICROBURIN (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF11741: MICROLITH (Younger Dryas to Late Mesolithic - 10000 BC? to 4001 BC?)
- FSF11742: BLADE (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF11743: LEAF ARROWHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- FSF11744: TRANSVERSE ARROWHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- FSF51394: OPPOSED PLATFORM BLADE CORE (Mesolithic - 9000 BC to 4000 BC)
- FSF51395: CORE (Star Carr Type Mesolithic to Late Neolithic - 9000 BC to 2351 BC)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 8 2020 3:35PM