Monument record WNG 072 - Wangford General, Wangford, (Palaeolithic)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TL 74 84 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||WANGFORD, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (0)
Palaeolithic implements (S1,S3,S5), including hand axes, cores and flakes from Wangford are listed by Roe in collections at British Museum and several provincial museums in England (S4,S6).
Wymer considers most palaeoliths marked or recorded as from Wangford, probably came from Brandon Fields Pit, Brandon (BRD 058)(S2).
The JJ Wymer archive also notes a possible link with BRD 059, 061, 062, (S7).
Formerly recorded as WNG MISC
Point is approximate.
- <S1> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 262.
- <S2> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia.
- <S3> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Wangford (nr Brandon) General.
- <S4> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL78SE20.
- <S5> SSF1296 Source Unchecked: ND. BM Guide to Stone Age, 21. BM Guide to Stone Age, 21.
- <S6> SSF17674 Bibliographic reference: Roe, Derek.. 1968. A Gazetteer of British Lower & Middle Palaeolithic sites.
- <S7> SSF59351 Digital archive: Wymer, J.J.. 1999. The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPs) The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPS). 23039, 23040.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
- Related to: Brandon Fields; Brandon Down; Gravel Hill, Brandon, (Palaeolithic). (Monument) (BRD 058)
- Related to: Near Brick kiln Farm, Brandon, (Palaeolithic). (Find Spot) (BRD 059)
- Related to: Near Brick kiln Farm, Brandon, (Palaeolithic). (Monument) (BRD 062)
- Related to: Near Brick kiln Farm, Brandon, (Palaeolithic). (Monument) (BRD 061)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 26 2020 4:10PM