Find Spot record BRD 059 - Near Brick kiln Farm, Brandon, (Palaeolithic).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7575 8551 (71m by 42m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BRANDON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
(Likely pre 1897): A small quantity of Palaeolithic artefacts marked "Wangford Brick Kiln Farm" or "Brandon Down near Brick Kiln Farm Cottages" located to these two pits, close together, at TL 7575 8551 and TL 7580 8552, by J Wymer. Still open in 1985 but overgrown.
Listed finds are 6 hand-axes, 2 flakes and 1 scraper in flint (marked "Brick Kiln Farm. Wangford Brandon"), and 1 scraper in quartzite (S1).
July 1973: A trial section cut into face of South pit by Wymer but only weathered chalk beneath breckland sand found, apparently gravel was in narrow `seams' or channels, unlike terrace gravel at BRD 058 (S1).
One of three gravel pits listed by Evans - see BRD 061 & 062 (S2, S4), and also BRD 058 and WNG 072
Excavation archive with J Wymer in November 1988 (S3).
The JJ Wymer Archive locates the pit at the location of BRD 061 (S5), find records are attached here. However, all should be considered, (S6)
- --- SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S1> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL78NE8.
- <S3> SSF23424 Excavation archive: Wymer, J.J.. 1988. JJ Wymer Excavation Archive. Wymer J J, November 1988.
- <S4> SSF6117 Bibliographic reference: Evans, J.. 1897. The Ancient Stone implements, weapons and ornaments of Great Britain. Evans J, The Ancient Stone implements, weapons and ornaments of Great Britain, London, 1897, 562-8, .
- <S5> SSF59351 Digital archive: Wymer, J.J.. 1999. The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPs) The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPS). 23039.
- <S6> SSF59348 Personal Correspondence: Cutler, Hannah. 2019. Personal Observations as part of the Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods project.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Feb 24 2021 2:51PM