Monument record FLN 013 - Flixton Park, Bronze Age (Quarry)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3027 8631 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||FLIXTON (NEAR BUNGAY), WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Cropmark: ring ditch, 20m in diameter, noted on Norfolk Archaeological Unit AP (S2). Previously small clumps of trees1997 in this area in Flixton Park (OS 1: 10560)(S1). NGR TM 3028 8629 (S3).
January 1996: Geophysical survey confirmed ring ditch and identified other anomalies to N & S (see S5).
March/April 1996: Excavation of ring ditch and part surrounding area also revealed an un-urned cremation and a group of internal and external (though see FLN 054) post holes that may represent a structure related to the burial and ring ditch which are provisionally dated to the EBA, but may be LNeo (cf Wherstead ring ditch). A radiocarbon sample of charcoal from the cremation gave a date of 3410 +/- 55BP (calibrated to BC 1861-1675)(S8).
For details of excavation see (S9, S11).
See (S12) for more detail on 1996.
A ring ditch of possible Neolithic or Bronze Age date is visible on aerial photographs as a cropmark, circa 450 metres to the north of Flixton Hall, Flixton parish. As described above from the excavation evidence, the ditch has a diameter of circa 20 metres, but also appears to be rather irregular in shape and quite narrow, possibly under one metre wide. (S10)
- <S1> SSF18123 (No record type): SAU (Plouviez J), 1983.
- <M1> SSF46234 (No record type): AP: NAU AP TM 3086/F/AHQ1.
- <S2> SSF11715 (No record type): NAU, AP TM 3086/F/AHQ, 6 July 1977.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: NAU record card, correspondence; (S5); (S6).
- <S3> SSF11786 (No record type): NAU, Norfolk Archaeological index, primary record card Suffolk Misc/BA, 13 October 1983.
- <S4> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Archaeol in Suff 1983,PSIA, 35, 1984, (4), 322.
- <S5> SSF18993 Unpublished document: Boulter S. 1996. Plixton Park, Flixton, (FLN 013) Assessment report. SAU, Boulter S, Assessment Report, SCCAS Report 96/13, July 1996, ill.
- <S6> SSF18994 Unpublished document: SAU, Boulter S, Assessment Report, SCCAS Report 96/65, October 1996, ill.
- <S7> SSF20391 (No record type): SAU, photographs, DMV-DMZ & DOA and DOB, 1996.
- <S8> SSF21143 (No record type): Scottish Universities Research and Reactor Centre, Radiocarbon Dating Laboratory Report, June 1997.
- <S9> SSF54605 Unpublished document: Boulter, S. 1997. RMC Atlas Aggregates Ltd Quarry, Flixton Park, flixton, Archaeological Excavation and monitoring Report (FLN 013).
- <S10> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 3086-5 (NLA TM3086C) 21-JUL-1977.
- <S10> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 3086/8 (NLA TM3086F) 06-Jul-1977.
- <S11> SSF54602 Unpublished document: Boulter S. 2000. Flixton Park Quarry, Flixton, an assessment of the archaeology recorded in the areas excavated as FLN 013 and FLN 053.
- <S12> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH 39 (1), p.96.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 23 2014 10:50AM