Monument record SNP 055 - Linear features, of unknown date, visible as earthworks on Snape Warren, probably land divisions.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 40716 57924 (1117m by 975m)|
|Civil Parish||SNAPE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
A number of linear features (banks and ditches) are visible on aerial photographs from 1943 onwards as earthworks on Snape Warren (around TM 407579) and seem to represent land divisions of probable Post Medieval date (S1). There may be more than one phase of land division represented, as at least one bank overlays a second bank and associated ditch. Many of the linear features correspond with boundaries that are at least partially marked on the first and second Ordnance Survey maps of circa 1884 and 1904, suggesting a Post-Medieval date for their construction (S1, S2). A number of the more fragmentary features may not relate to land division as they appear to correspond to the route of tracks and paths that are also marked on the first and second edition Ordnance Survey maps of circa 1884 and 1904.(S2-4)
- <S1> SXS50085 Photograph: USAAF. USAAF Air Photograph. US/7PH/GP/LOC132 Frames 5053-5054.
- <S2> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. circa 1884.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". circa 1904.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/717 3168-3171, 4168-4170.
- <S5> SXS50090 Photograph: Meridian Airmaps Ltd. Meridian - Air Photograph. NMR MAL/65095 88-89 06-Nov-1965.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2004 4:56PM