Monument record FEX 037 - Walton Old Hall (site of); Colneis Road
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3050 3564 (99m by 92m)|
|Civil Parish||FELIXSTOWE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Walton Old Hall (remains of). Ruins consist of a large hall at least 19m long x 8m wide, aligned north-south. This has squared buttresses and an external porch. Abutting onto the north-west corner of the hall is another room, at least 8m long x 4m wide, parts of which are still covered by a mound of earth. The walls are 4ft wide and upto 6ft high, consisting of a 2ft high freestone base surmounted by a core of septaria, in 2ft layers, faced with mortar and having Caen stone corners (S1).
The hall was built by the Bigod family, Earls of Norfolk, circa 1291 (listed in court rolls as work on the `Stone Room') and was ruinous by 1514 (then referred to as the 'Corte House')(S1). The upper part of the N wall blew down in a gale in 1881 (S2). For other early references see (S10). Edward III stayed here in 1338, 1339 and 1340 whilst preparing to invade France (S2).
Late C13 Saintonge Ware jug from Walton Old Hall site, N of ruin, 1936 (S3).
1961: Two parallel walls running NW/SE discovered under S side of Colneis Road (opposite numbers 23 & 21) during road construction, at least 4ft deep, as well as very well constructed curving feature (latrine?). Walls also reported under front gardens of No 23, under back garden of No 24 (plan & section and one sherd - J M Jeffery, 5/10/1961. Following disturbance by Gas Board). Details in (S9). (Note: these areas are outside the Scheduled area - see revised [Dec 2009] HBSMR mapping which extended to include these areas though full extent of site still unknown).
1967-1968: Felgate's excavations. EADT cutting 22.2.67 gives details of Felgate's application to excavate and the difficulties raised by professional archaeologists. Basil Brown did not comment on this - cutting in archive (S5). For transcription of Felgate's journal of the excavations see (S11). For copies of Felgate's dig notes etc (S13) see parish file and for list of finds taken to Felixstowe Museum in 2001 see (S14 - also in parish file).
25 Sept 1968: Scheduled (S6).
1981: Site of C13 Royal manor,now mostly under playing fields. Partial excavation & clearance 1966-1968 has revealed a hall? 54 ft x 27 ft with a chamber block (?) at the E end. Built ofseptaria with caen-stone dressings. In parts walls are six feet high (S6).
1991: Said to be falling and in need of preservation (S7).
March 2003: geophysical survey by GSB Prospection of part of playing field to S of Colneis Road revealed possible estate boundary ditches but no obvious buried walls - details in (S12).
For further C18, C19, C20 details see (S8).
Stonework located at Felixstowe Museum and sections of stone mouldings with T M Felgate.
- <R1> SSF3712 (No record type): Clarke, History of Ipswich, 389.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: card index.
- <S1> SSF6269 (No record type): Felgate T M, Note on Walton Old Hall, PSIA 33, 2, 1974, 150-152.
- <M2> SSF43579 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF6270 (No record type): Felgate T M, The story of the 'Old Hall', Norwich 1983.
- <S3> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1950-157-14, 1950.
- <M3> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: sections of Caen stone mouldings by T M Felgate, 1970.
- <S4> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM33NW1.
- <S5> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, card 127.
- <S6> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S7> SSF21763 Unpublished document: Suffolk Preservation Society. 1991. Suffolk Preservation Society Survey. Suff Pres Soc Survey, 1991.
- <S8> SSF23095 (No record type): White R G, `Walton Manor House or Old Hall Ruins on the Town Sports Ground', The Felixstowe Archaeol.
- <S9> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Archaeol in Suffolk 1961, PSIA, 29, 1961, 95-96.
- <S10> SSF17531 (No record type): Redstone V B `Angulus Anglie: A Corner of Anglia', PSIA, 23, 1938, 156.
- <S11> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Adams G & Fairclough J (FEX Hist & Mus Soc), Transcription of Felgate T, 1967-69 & 1971 adds, ill.
- <S12> SSF50171 Unpublished document: Geophysical survey report. GCB Prospection, Report 2003/19, April 2003.
- <S13> SSF54025 Unpublished document: Excavation archive. Felgate T, excavation notes, plans, copies transcripts, letters, sketches etc, 25 march 1967-1971.
- <S14> SSF50082 Verbal communication: Personal communication. Ann ? (Felixstowe Museum), letter top Tom Loader (SCCAS), April 2001.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Sep 13 2011 10:29AM